Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sandra Lee (Aunt Sandy)


The next chef I'm going to talk about is the lovely Sandra Lee, or Aunt Sandy as she sometimes calls herself. Sandra wrote a book about her troubled childhood. She never knew her father and her mother was addicted to nose spray (no lie). Her grandmother raised her and her sister and you can often hear her mention them both on the show. She is also LOVES talking about her nephew Bryce (whom she affectionately calls Brycer).
I'm not a big fan of Sandra Lee. I've tried really hard to 'get into her', but it just doesn't work. She has this weird Valley Girl type of talk that just drives me crazy. She also has a habit of matching her outfit to the design scheme in her kitchen (she above picture). That's just ridiculous in my book. Who does that?! Her tablescapes also push me over the edge. Some of the ideas are cute, but I just don't have the time to visit a craft store and assemble place cards for my dinner table.
But to be fair, this is a Food Network show, so her cooking technique should be the focus here. With that being said, I'm still not a fan. Sandra is big on the shortcut idea (and so am I), but alot of her recipes are things I would never even try. For instance, she once made a birthday cake by purchasing 3 different size sheet cakes from a grocery store. She piled them on top of each other, surrounded them by more store bought cupcakes and frosted it. Blah, no thanks. Her money saving food show caught my eye briefly, but the amounts of ingredients she uses is so ridiculous I have a hard time taking her seriously (0.39 cents worth of vodka, 0.84 cents worth of oatmeal), c'mon Sandra....where can I buy 39 cents worth of vodka?!
Overall I give her 2 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. wow, look at her boobs in that last pic!! is she the semi-homemade lady? i don't have cable anymore so i haven't watched her shows. but i think i checked out one of her cookbooks from the library. don't remember what i thought of it. but ha, that's funny about her matching the set!!

    ReplyDelete